Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bandera Trip

This past Thursday Linda and I drove to Bandera Texas to meet Cheryl, Chuck, and the boys at the Flying L Guest Ranch. It was great to get away. The guest ranch has changed so much since we were there last year. Three new guest houses were added, all in country theme, along with a water park that came complete with a lazy river and wave pool!
On Friday we chose to take advantage of the nearby Medina River. We wanted to rent tubes to float it but we were told that the water was too low. That was crazy to us since we couldn't touch bottom for the majority of our time in the water.
Cheryl, Gibby, and Sean "floating" upstream on their way to the rope swings.
Linda and I puttering along. Neither one of us was very comfortable in the water since we couldn't see the bottom. We decided that as long as we had each other we could muster the nerve to paddle upstream.
Gibby climbed to the top of the tree with the highest rope swing first. That boy has no fear!! It only took a few seconds at the top before he pushed off and swung like tarzan!
He was so brave! There was no way that I could do what he did. I wish I could have caught the splash he made, it was huge!!
See the grin on his face? He was having so much fun!
Sean getting brave to climb to the top of another rope swing. There was no way I was going to climb this tree with the water shoes I had on. Yes Cheryl, I'm a chicken... bwaaakk bwaaakk!!
Sean as he floats through the air... for a minute I was afraid he wasn't going to let go of the rope!
Linda and Cheryl on the bank. Cheryl has more gumption than I think I ever will. She got up and joined the boys in the trees like it was nothing. I admire her bravery. She told me it comes from growing up with brothers and male cousins!!

Sean climbing the tallest tree. I'm not sure if he did it because Gibby already had or not but still!! I can't imagine climbing the tree much less jumping out of it!
Sean's big splash, I think he told me he touched bottom on this one!!
Cheryl, Linda, and myself on the big rock in the middle of the river. It was crazy because it was so slimy underwater and yet you couldn't see where the rock touched bottom.

Cheryl told me that I had to jump off the rock with her... so I did as I screamed like a baby all the way down!! I'm sure I made a few children deaf that afternoon. We had so much fun!!
Saterday we drove to Fredericksburg with the intention of picking peaches but it turned out we were one weekend too late. So instead we spent the day walking around the shops and visiting with Uncle Sonny and Aunt Shirley. They are such a hoot!! I think we wore the kids out since they went back early with Chuck to swim at the Flying L. Linda and the others were good sports as Cheryl and I walked them from one end of the strip to the other. It would be great to go back during Octoberfest don't you think??
Sunday morning we all had really good intentions of picking apples in Medina but it turned out that the orchard was closed on Sundays. So Linda and I drove back home but not before we bought real Fredricksburg Freestone peaches at a roadside stand. They were so sweet that they dripped sugar as you ate them.


2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I'd be a chicken too, expecially with the river being so dirty & not being able to see the bottom (can't believe you didn't have a tube).

The Abney Family said...

You are a little braver than me, my friend! There is no way I would have been jumping off of anything if I couldn't see where I was going! Looks like a good time for you guys. Peaches sound good!